Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A CHEAPSKATE'S ADVICE PART 2: HOW TO SAVE ON BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER IN ROME

BREAKFAST

EAT YOUR BREAKFAST STANDING UP...If you want to have breakfast at a bar, have your cornetto and cappuccino at the counter because Roman bars usually charge more if you sit at a table.

GET YOUR CORNETTO FROM A CORNETTERIA...if you buy cornetti directly from the baker you wil pay less than at the bar.  In the Prati area you can find a cornetteria on Via G.G. Belli 63.  Freshly baked cornetti are available from midnight onwards.

LUNCH

Go to a PANINOTECA...lots of choice of panini and tramezzini

Have pizza by the gram at the PIZZA AL TAGLIO shops. Many choices of pizza and you can buy as much or as little as you like.

Go to MONDO ARANCINA, a Sicilian fast food chain in Rome. Here you can get arancine with different fillings, pizza, sfincione, genovesi and other Sicilian delights. In the Prati area Mondo Arancina is in Via Marcantonio Colonna 38.  There is one on Via Tuscolana, in Piazzale Clodio, Via Oderisi da Gubbio and in Via della Vite.

Get a made-to-order panino from a supermarket or grocery shop.

DINNER

HAVE A HAPPY HOUR!

Happy hours have become a Roman obsession, every bar in town has a happy hour.    For 5-7 Euros they'll give you a drink or juice, a platter of  mini-tramezzini, mini-pizzette, potato chips and peanuts. Prices, hours and content vary from bar to bar.




12 comments:

  1. Hello! How are you?
    I haven'tseen you for a long time.
    This is a great post, because I' m going to Italy next month.
    Love,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to return to Rome so badly! You didn't mention the fabulous gelato--my favorite is straciatella. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this...I want to travel very much and you make me think I could afford it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ma sai che non conoscevo mondo arancina, dovrò andarci la prossima colta che sarò a Roma. Baci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciccia, your blog is lovely! I look forward to my visits here. The last time I was in Rome was quite a while back, so I will be doing some catch up! Thank you for the pleasure of your visit to my blog, and for leaving me your trail.

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ho mangiato deliziosi cornetti e quelli riempiti con una crema al limone (molto presto la mattina)! Indimenticabile!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vrlo lepo uradjeno, super...Pozdrav.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blog, Сiccia. It is interesting to explore our opportunities to eat in Rome.:-))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciccia è bellissimo il tuo blog mi hai fatto sentire una turista nella mia Italia, fantastica la tua vita cosmopolita!
    Complimenti per le ricette e per il favoloso rossetto ;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks great! Thanks for your comment and follow-following you back!

    stylebymj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My happy hour normally means lots of alcohol. Ha ha. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete