Monday, August 13, 2012

CLOSED FOR FERRAGOSTO - CHIUSO PER FERIE

FERRAGOSTO is an ancient Italian holiday named after the Emperor Augustus:  "feriae  Augusti", literally "Augustus' rest".  It falls on August 15th, also the day of the Immaculate Conception.  Traditionally on this day Italians go out of the city to che countryside, mountains or sea to get cool and fresh air.  In fact Rome right now is deserted. I went around the neighborhood and everything is  CHIUSO PER FERIE (closed for the holidays).  There are only three bread shops in our area and they are ALL closed, the grocery shop is closed, the fruit shop is closed.  The only shops open are the supermarkets so they are invaded by tourists who don't know where to go or what to do.  They should have been told not to come during this week to Rome, when everyone is away and everything is closed.  Actually this year, only 4 out of 10 Italians have gone on holiday.  It's due to the economic crisis.  The people who have money don't spend because if they do,  the Finance Guard will come after them for taxes, and for those who don't have money...well, the problem doesn't arise.  HAPPY FERRAGOSTO!

Since the pastry shops are also closed, I made my own dessert:  Gingerbread with Butterscotch-Pear Sauce,  a recipe from the classic Betty Crocker collection. 

21 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the first time I visited Rome (as a tourist) when i was a teenager. It was Ferragosto and indeed, everything we wanted to see was closed! (This was years ago, when things were even more extreme than they are today.) We joked that they should call it "Roma, Città Chiusa"....

    And I got a funny impression of the city--it seemed so calm, so relaxing! Hardly any traffic... Imagine my surprise when I moved there. ;=)

    But actually, visiting Rome in August can be good fun in a way. You can really *see* the city and appreciate its beauty in a way that isn't possible when the city is its usual bustling self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francesca,love you're blog site...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicioso postre, en Madrid pasa lo mismo todo cerrado, parece un desierto, besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Francesca, that looks so delish!

    Thanks for sharing'



    Ciao Bella
    Sensible Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooo glad you found me so I could find YOU! I love your sweet blog and I'm happy to tell you my hubby and I will be visiting your country in September 2013 for our anniversary.

    That butterscotch sauce sounds FABULOUS! YUM!

    I'm your newest follower! Just had to follow you back!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Francesca, Great looking dessert... As for the holiday and almost everything being closed, the same happens on Sundays in lots of small towns across the southern USA. Good luck finding anything other than a Hardee's or a McDonald's open. Then there was the time I took my better half on a vacation to Nova Scotia...planning on ensuring that she had plenty of her favorite food...lobster. I didn't know that there was an 'out of season' for lobster in Nova Scotia. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao Francesca! Thank you for your visit and comment and I am so pleased to meet a new blogger, and all the way from beautiful Italy. I have just come over to say hello and have enjoyed all the lovely desserts you are making...I look forward to visiting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks yummy and delicious - I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dessert you made looks YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Francesca,
    I hope you enjoy the peace and quiet for a few days.
    Buon apetito!
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gingerbread with butterscotch sauce...I'm pretty sure I had this growing up and when I see it is from the Betty Crocker cookbook....I probably did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks tastey!
    Greetings from Sweden
    /Ingemar

    ReplyDelete
  13. That gingerbread really does look good. Have a splendid holiday, even if you are not going away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm... troppo buono... una favola d'arte culinaria.. che risveglia il palato..
    Un abbraccio Francesca..saluti dalla Sicilia
    Maurizio

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your kind visit! Your gingerbread looks delicious;))
    Greetings from Vancouverxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. buono! anche io ho un blog, che ne dici di passare?mi farebbe molto piacere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it should be against the law for bakeries to be closed ANYTIME!! But your dessert looks even better!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. MMm! It's realy tasty!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like this
    Lysa
    http://www.leblogdelysa.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Che meraviglia di blog, complimenti per la ricetta!
    Un abbraccio
    Ps: mi sono unita alle tue lettrici, passa da me se ti va!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ciao Francesca, grazie del commento.....troppo buona.Magari come dici tu non sai far niente a mano ma mi sembra, sbirciando il tuo blog, che tu abbia un sacco di BUONISSIMI interessi.
    ciao e a presto, tornerò a trovarti.
    Cristina.

    ReplyDelete