Tuesday, July 11, 2017

An Italian obsession

Here is a typical Sicilian breakfast




In Italy, particularly here in Sicily, coffee is an obsession, a morning ritual which is carried out many times throughout the day, maybe as many as 6 or 8 times daily.  At home first thing in the morning, or at the bar, which is the most preferred place. Then mid-morning, then after lunch, then mid-afternoon, or after the siesta (which normally is from 1PM to 4PM. Then during all those times you meet a friend, or want to discuss business. Any excuse is good for an espresso.

Take George Clooney's advice "Nespresso. What else? 

An espresso cup is tiny in comparison to an American coffee cup, but believe me, that little amount of espresso can wake up an elephant.

By the way, we have numerous kinds of coffee...espresso, caffè lungo, caffè macchiato, caffè ristretto, caffelatte, cappuccino, lattemacchiato, caffè d'orzo, caffè and ginseng, caffèorzo and so on. You would be lost for choice at an italian bar. Note that a  "bar" in Italy is a cafè.  

What?  FOUR Euros for a jar of Nescafè?!?!










6 comments:

  1. Germans drink a lot of coffee, too; you wouldn't believe how many times a day people at an office leave their desks in order to pay a visit to the coffee machine! Choosing the "right" type of coffee has become an art to some; it has to be politically and environmentally correct or they won't have it.
    I still think Lavazza is the best brand for espresso, but most of the time, I want more volume, so the tiny espresso cups are not what I go for.
    By the way, you have me confused here with your list of coffees: What is the difference between caffè d'orzo and caffèorzo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francesca, We each drink about 3 cups of coffee per day...black/straight up! Love the long term European study that was released here yesterday that shows that 2 + cups of black coffee per day reduces the risk of a number of causes of death by 18%!! Drink up! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coffee, too, but I don't drink more than 3 cups a day :)
    Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post dear! thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like coffee. I drink tea though. Wish I did like coffee because there are so many more places to get it and so many different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to see you in video in your kitchen again. I really enjoyed this, as I also enjoy my coffee. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete